From 12-15 July 2022, the University of Bern hosted the 15th edition of the European Workshop on Laser Ablation (EWLA2022) organised in Bern, Switzerland. The event was the occasion to discuss results, novel concepts and developments in laser ablation-based techniques in the context of sustainable by-product and Critical Raw Materials (CRM) recovery as well as to stimulate interaction between academia and industry.
Lectures, talks, workshops, and poster presentations were presented on the following topics:
- Laser-matter interaction
- Particle formation and transport phenomena
- Qualitative and quantitative element and isotope mapping (2D and 3D)
- Isotope ratio analysis
- Data processing and management
- Chemical depth profiling
- Simultaneous tandem and/or multi sensor techniques
- Earth, Geology, and Planetary Sciences
- Bio imaging & Life Sciences
- Archaeology & Cultural Heritage
- Material Sciences and Industrial Applications
Among the topics presented during the event, Catherine Lerouge, as a member of the ION4RAW project, introduced the “Inventory of by-products and critical raw materials in the El Porvenir Pb-Zn and Cerro Lindo ore deposits: laser ablation ICP-MS and electron microprobe”
The objectives of the inventory are to improve the recovery of by products and CRM during the ore treatment processes, to obtain reliable estimates of by products and CRM and to develop ionometallurgy processes. By supporting and encouraging the recovery of by-product and CRMs, we are able to improve the knowledge of target deposits as well as characterize ores by determining carrier minerals and their distribution.